Although cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the most popular forms of medical cannabis, research suggests that cannabigerol (CBG), another molecule found in cannabis plants, also offers significant and unique health benefits.
What is CBG?
CBG is one of over 120 cannabinoids, which have been discovered within the Cannabis sativa plant . CBG has recently gained significant popularity mainly because cannabigerolic acid (CBGA), which turns into CBG, is also the precursor for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). However, unlike THC, CBG is non-psychoactive, which means it will not cause the “high.”
Instead, CBG, a potent antioxidant, works to combat oxidative stress that damages cells and leads to neurological, cardiovascular, and autoimmune diseases .
Below are a few of the many promising health benefits of CBG.
- Huntington’s Disease – In several models of Huntington’s Disease, treatment with CBG has been shown to reduce the loss of brain cells and improve motor function [2,3].
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) – In models of MS, CBG has been shown to alleviate symptoms by preventing overactivation of immune cells .
- Parkinson’s Disease – In Parkinson’s, cells in the nigrostriatal region of the brain are lost. Studies have indicated that CBG may help to both prevent the destruction of and augment the recovery of brain cells in this region [5,6].
- Colon Cancer – Studies have demonstrated that extracts containing CBG have properties that may kill colon cancer cells .
- Appetite Stimulation – CBG may improve appetite by increasing how often hunger sets in, with minimal side effects .
Which is better CBD or CBG?
Though CBG, CBD, and THC are all derivatives of CBGA, only THC can cause the psychological effects associated with “getting high” . Both CBG and CBD are non-psychoactive.
However, the main difference between CBG and CBD is the health benefit profiles that each therapy offers. As mentioned before, CBG is known to increase appetite. In contrast, CBD reduces appetite and aid in weight loss .
A scientific aspect that differentiates CBG from CBD is how they work. CBG works directly on cannabinoid receptors within the brain, while CBD works indirectly on the endocannabinoid system within the brain . You may argue that CBG has a more powerful, direct effect than CBD.
Why is CBG so expensive?
With such a wide range of health benefits, it may seem surprising that CBG is not as well-known as CBD. One of the main reasons why CBG is less popular is because it is very difficult and expensive to make . CBG is considered to be one of the most “high-end” cannabinoids because it is difficult to acquire and has many health benefits.
CBG has become a mainstream part of the continually advancing cannabinoid market. If you are ready to explore CBG products, Biomedican produces CBG, which 100% organic and non-GMO naturally grown and high-quality CBG product